Gluten free – check. Grain free – check. Nutrient rich – check.
Sweet potato toast… I know right, how can sweet potato even compare to real toast? I was skeptical too, but after trying it out I got hooked on it. Whether you’re using a toaster or toaster oven, the sweet potato cooks perfectly, with a crisp outside and they hold up to an array of toppings.
Sweet potatoes are full of beta-carotene, that gets converted to Vitamin A once digested. Vitamin A plays a vital role in maintaining hair, skin, nail and vision health, and immune function. Sweet potatoes contain loads of fibre and are gluten-free, paleo-friendly and vegan!
So today I’m sharing with you how to make sweet potato toast, and 4 ideas for toppings!
4 Ways to Top Sweet Potato Toast (& some honourable mentions):
- Fried egg + Sea Salt + Freshly Ground Pepper + Red Pepper Flakes
- Turkey + Cheese
- Hummus + Cucumbers + Sea Salt
- Peanut butter + Fruit (Berries, Bananas, Apples)
Other options (not pictured):
- Mashed Avocado + Sea Salt + Red Pepper Flakes
- Nutella + Banana
- Cream Cheese + Smoke Salmon
- 1 Large Sweet Potato
- Choice of Toppings
- Slice the sweet potato lengthwise, into ¼ inch thick slices.
- Place sweet potatoes in a toaster or toaster oven on high, for about 5-10 minutes, until cooked through. You may need to check and toast a couple times depending on your toaster settings.
- Top with desired toppings. Sweet potato toast slices can be stored in an airtight container for about 1 week.