Homemade Fruit & Nut Mix for a healthy snack that will help keep your sweet cravings at bay!
Fruit & nut mix and most trail mixes get a bad rap for being unhealthy. But, that’s not because of all the good for you fats in there. Most store bought mixes on the market have added unnecessary sugars that turn this healthy treat into an unhealthy one.
However, I am a believer in including healthy fat into every meal, as it helps us stay fuller longer and aids in our overall health, especially if you are highly active. Making your own fruit & nut mix assures the quality of the ingredients that are going in!
The anatomy of fruit & nut mix:
- Nuts – You can use any raw nuts of your choosing! They provide healthy fat and protein to help you body sustain energy and feel fuller longer.
- Seeds – Oh how I love seeds, never forget about them! Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds. They are all packed with vitamins and minerals to help your body work at it’s best.
- Dried fruit – Their high sugar content help boost your low blood sugar after enduring a lot of physical activity. They are also great at curbing any sweet cravings! Look for sun dried fruit that isn’t coated in sugar – and try and get some that is unsulfured.
Now, check out my recipe for my favourite Fruit & Nut Mix!
BITK’s Fruit & Nut Mix
Makes: about 3-4 cups
- 3/4 cup raw pecans
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, dried cherries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, dried blueberries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, dried strawberries (chopped)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened banana chips
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Store in a air tight container or ziplock bag for up to 1 month!