Guilt-Free Double Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes? Yes, Please!
Looking for a delicious, guilt-free chocolate cupcake that’s gluten-free, oil-free, refined sugar-free and freakin AHMAZING? You got it here!
Not only do these cupcakes taste insanely good, they are also good for you! The added zucchini in this recipe makes sure that these cupcakes are insanely moist and you don’t even taste it! It sounds crazy, but holy crap, once you taste these you will understand!
You have more benefits by using tahini as a replacement for traditional oil and almond flour, which is full of protein and gives these cupcakes a more traditional texture! Ps. These can also be made into a cake, if you desire. I’m just feeling muffin and cupcakes right now.
Fudgy chocolate coconut cream frosting puts this dessert over the edge! If you’re looking for a super chocolatey & rich dessert, check out the recipe below! Don’t forget to tag me in your creations on Instagram, with the hashtag #bitchininthekitch! Happy baking!
Double Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes
Adapted from Make Thyme for Health
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 eggs (or for flax egg – 2 tbsp flax + 3 tbsp water)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or organic white sugar
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/4 cup of dairy-free chocolate chips
For the frosting:
- Can of full-fat coconut milk or cream
- 10 oz dairy-free chocolate chips
- Make sure you have a chilled can of coconut cream – in the fridge for at least 6 hours, if not overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line cupcake tin with paper liners. You can also make a cake out of this – if so light grease a loaf pan.
- Combine the almond milk and ACV in a measuring cup and allow to sit for a few minutes to curdle. If using flax egg, combine flax with water in a small bowl and allow to thicken for a few minutes.
- Shred the zucchini and allow it to drain on paper towels while you prepare the cake.
- In a blender, combine all the ingredients (except for the zucchini). Blend for 10 seconds, scrape down the sides and blend for another 10 seconds. Add in the shredded zucchini and chocolate chips, then fold into the batter with a spatula, until well-combined.
- Pour the batter into cupcake liners or in loaf pan. Bake in the oven for 18-21 minutes for cupcakes, and about 45 minutes if you are making a cake. Toothpick should come out of the centre clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting: When coconut cream is ready, flip can over and open with a can opener. Pour off the water. Scoop only the solid white coconut cream into a bowl. Set aside. Melt chocolate chips in the microwave, at 30 second intervals. Once chocolate is melted, pour into the bowl with the coconut cream. Whip it with electric beaters until smooth! If you are having trouble beating it, let the cream sit out on the counter for a bit to warm up. Spread on the cupcakes once frosting is at room temp and easily spreadably.
- Store cupcakes in the fridge to keep frosting from melting!